Solar Power System Mounting Surface Inspection
The surface the solar power system will be installed on will require a detailed inspection. Make sure to have a digital camera on hand to take pictures to help in documenting and reviewing the mounting surface later in the design process. Pictures allow great review of trouble areas and allow you to go over items with co-workers or who ever is in charge of designing the system instead of you having to try to explain something with words which can always be interpreted wrong.
Some of the key pieces of data you should try to collect when on site about the mounting surface are:
- Age of mounting surface
- Condition of mounting surface
- Strength of supporting structure (will additional supports be required)
- Slope of the mounting surface
- Mounting surface accessibility
- Location of any powerlines
- Location of any obstructions
- Photograph all obstructions
- Square footage of available mounting areas
- Azimuth direction
When all this data is gathered it will provide you with the required information for designing the solar power system. Knowing if you have to split the system up and mount it in several differrent areas or if it will fit in one is of great importance as is knowing if you will have to reinforce the mounting structure.
If there is another key piece of data you have come across that should be recorded when doing a mounting surface inspection please leave a comment so we can make this list more detailed.